Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science
The Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science sponsored by the Pennsylvania Academy of Science, as an Affiliate of the American Association for the Advancement of Science is organized with the following objectives:
- To promote greater participation in science and mathematics activities among the youth of Pennsylvania.
- To improve the quality of achievement in mathematics and science by encouraging students to participate in research and develop original ideas.
- To develop an understanding of the scientific community through close association with leaders in the sciences.
- To seek the improvement of science clubs activities through the cooperative regional and state meetings.
- To inculcate among its members true scientific attitudes and humanistic ideals that shall lead to the greater development of service to man.
More information can be found at http://www.pjasregistration.com
English Fest is an effort to promote quality reading among our students. The goal of the festival is to communicate to students the value of literature in the enrichment of their lives. In order to attain that objective, students are required to read books from a predetermined list. Students participate in various activities on the festival day itself.
This year’s 7th/8th graders are preparing for the competition by creating Hummingbird Dioramas to a select book. Their competition will be at Duquesne University in the Spring.
Students memorize scripts (dramatic or humorous) and present them in front of a panel of judges. The competitions usually involve three or more schools from the diocese.